The Next Steps™ (NS) Facilitator course is meant to provide information and skill development to assist adults who need to make healthcare decisions specific to their distinct disease(s) with consideration to possible situations that may arise from the specific disease trajectory. During the course education and role-playing assist attendees in learning communication techniques to promote person centered ACP conversations.
Suggested Attendees to the NS™ Facilitator Course
Qualified, typically healthcare, professionals with knowledge of disease processes interested in delivering a more in-depth ACP Facilitation.
There are 2 options available for NS™ Facilitator Courses. For those with prior certifications in either First Steps® (FS) or Advanced Steps (AS) there is a 1/2-day course. If no prior certifications in either FS or AS a full 1-day course is offered.
Objectives of NS Facilitator courses
- Define the advance care planning (ACP) needs of patients with advanced illness
- Explain the purpose, stages, and techniques of the Next Steps ACP interview
- Identify interview techniques and strategies in delivering the Next Step ACP interview
- Participate in practice activities to learn the expected competencies in delivering the Next Steps ACP interview
- Identify communication and documentation strategies to insure a patient’s informed healthcare decisions are honored
Respecting Choices® required components for certification
Certification is only available through contracted implementation of the NS ACP program and not offered as a freestanding course.
Course certification includes completion of the following:
Pre Course work for virtual classes:
- Complete Respecting Choices® Next Steps Online ACP Facilitator Curriculum (modules 1–6). (Provides 9.75 CE.)
- Read through the following before class (via electronic files):
- Next Steps ACP Conversation Guide: Meeting with individuals with decisional capacity (and agent, if present) (RC 2101)
- Statement of Treatment Preferences: Heart Disease (RC 2103)
- CPR Decision Aid (RC 0301)
- Facilitator Handbook to Next Steps ACP Conversations (RC 2120)
- View the following before class (via YouTube links):
- Advanced Steps Conversation Chapter 1: Exploration (12 minutes) video
- Decision Aid Webinar (18 minutes)
- Post Course: Demonstration of competency in delivering the NS ACP Interview through an observed conversation by NS Instructor
CHS standards include:
The day of training focuses solely on Facilitator education and skill development. Additional information and mentoring greatly enhances the comfort and skill level of a new Facilitator. These additional components have proven to be very effective and are therefore included in the registration fee and process of certification.
- Attendance to the 1-hour Prep for Training Webinar held prior to the 9-hour course
- If not certified in FS or AS through CHS or Making Choices Michigan (MCM), attendance to a 30-60 minute webinar prior to day(s) of training to receive current legal requirements for the naming of one’s Patient Advocate (AKA: Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare) in an advance directive and the role of a Patient Advocate.
- Submission for review and feedback of a completed practice advance directive (AD) used in your location (CHS endorses Making Choices Michigan’s community developed Advance Directive) to improve the document’s usage when needed
- This is included for your knowledge and skill as not all patients will have completed an advance directive naming a Patient Advocate
- Minimally 1-3 practice conversations prior to final observed role-play for certification as appropriate
- Demonstration of ability to customize and complete wishes on appropriate NS advance directive documents
- Attendance to the 1-hour “Closing the Loop” Webinar following 9-hour course
- Recommended attendance to 30-60 min webinar 1/month following NS Facilitator certification to participate in an opportunity to share with other facilitators and obtain additional mentoring
CHS’s Commitment to Facilitators
CHS NS™ Instructors remain available for questions and ongoing mentoring opportunities to certified NS™ Facilitators throughout their participation in their role as a NS™ Facilitator.
Facilitator course costs are variable dependent on prior training of attendees, if any. Cost will be determined and provided through the Facilitator Course request process prior to registration and submission of payment. All classes are currently held virtually.
Upcoming Next Steps™ Facilitator Course dates:
- May 25, 8a – 1:30p and June 1, 8a – 12n, 2021 (Divided into two half days)
email@example.com | (517) 898-3847
© Copyrights by Choreographed Health Solutions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.